Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A blog about a gypsy. No, seriously, A REAL ONE!

Our house has come with it's very own Gypsy-like lady. I'm not kidding about this.

A little back story....

Last week, prior to me moving in, I was at the new house painting. And I heard a knock on the door. So I opened it thinking it might be our "howdy neighbors" (as I like to call them). But NO! It was this little old lady dressed like a gypsy. And she had this little Eastern European accent. And was creepy in a cute old lady gypsy way. So, she asks if I own the house and I inform her that we're renting it. Here's the exchange:

"Oh. You and your husband?"
"No. Me and my friend."
"Your friend?"
"Yes."
"And you rent whole house?"
"Yes. The whole house."
"All the rooms?"
"Yes. All the rooms."
"Oh, 'cause I saw house was very expensive and thought I could help you pay it."
"No. We rented the whole house."
"All the rooms."
"All the rooms."
"What about that one?"

AND THEN SHE PUSHED PASSED ME INTO MY HOUSE! I was really caught off guard, I must say.

"Um...excuse me?"
"This room? You rent it?"
"Yes, we rented it."
"Oh. And upstairs?"
"We rented that too."
"Whole house?"
"All rented."

and then my dog, Tucker, comes running up to her trying to play and she starts to shriek.

"OH YOU HAVE DOG!"
"Yes. He rented the whole house too."
"Oh. Well I don't like dogs. I can't live here. I'm moving to Manassas"
"Ok."

And then she left.

So then the next day she came back again and asked about our contractor who painted the Jew's room. I pointed to Cenk's sign in the front yard. The end.

But then! Today I get home from running errands and what do I find on our front porch step? Not a package....but.... A GYPSY.

Yes, she was back. Sitting on our step. I asked her to leave and she started in about how she needed a place to live. Finally I told her that she needed to leave before I called the police. And then she started crying. So I held the front porch door open for her since I didn't want her running into anything with all the tears running down her face.

I thought DC was weird....

I should have bottled her tears. They're probably good luck.

No comments: